I posted this great article regarding the positive effects of home ownership to my FB page (Melody Kilbank REALTOR.) https://www.canadianmortgagetrends.com/2017/05/case-for-homeownership/
Buyers are up against some affordability challenges. Not just in the Toronto and Vancouver markets, but all over the country. And not just because of home prices. The Government’s new regulations regarding mortgage qualifying rates has hurt first time home buyers.
The author of the article, Sean Speer*, summarizes the major social and economic benefits to home ownership. He summarizes several studies over the past 5 years which have shown home ownership makes our communities great! I found this information enlightening. Home ownership benefits:
• Creates upward mobility for children by providing a more stable home
• Greater participation in social and political activities
• Greater number of children finishing high school and post secondary education
• Reduces criminal activity over time
• Negative effect on violent and property crimes
• Better quality of home life, greater cognitive abilities, fewer child behavior problems
• Raises educational attainment, earnings and welfare independence in young adults
“…the evidence shows that the benefits are not just limited to homeowners. Society benefits when families have access to affordable, responsible homeownership and thus government policy should continue to support it.” Sean Speer*
Call me if you know someone who would like to be a part of this kind of positive change!
*Sean Speer, Government policy specialist, … previously served as senior economic adviser and special adviser to former prime minister Stephen Harper …has written extensively about federal policy issues